Blah Blah Blah

Treatment Day 3...32 to go.

Originally posted 9-April-2018

Okay. This is the first day that sucked.

AND, because of everything going on it is impossible to know what caused what.

Here's why...

Chemo Wednesday, along with all the anti-nausea drugs that came with it could have affected my stomach.

OR, since I have never had real surgery, it could have been the anesthesia and all the pain killers. AALLLL the pain killers. 

OR, maybe it was the abdominal pain from the PEG tube placement.

Here is what I know. It was almost impossible to stay awake. I was not hungry. Any sort of gas was brutally unpleasant and, to top it all off, the constipation was terrible. That said, let's re-cap Friday.

Fasting for the surgery was not a problem. Nothing to eat or drink the night before and up at 5am to get to the hospital for check in doesn't leave much time for food or drink. They quickly got me to a bed and had me hooked up to all sorts of monitors and an IV. Typical, I guess. Fluids. Drugs. Questions. Forms. Another lovely visit to one of Central Texas' fine healthcare facilities.

When it was time for the procedure, the gave me some Versed. I didn't really notice any affects but, once in the room for the procedure, we had a couple of minutes of conversation about the Masters. Then the anesthesiologist said, "OK. I am going to give you Propofol, now." I remember nothing else. Zero. Zilch.

I woke up as they were rolling me back into the room where they prepped me and was pretty alert. One of the weirdest feelings I have ever felt. Then, for the pain, they pumped me full of painkillers of different kinds. Percocet, Fentanyl, some other stuff. I really don't remember all of it. I was pretty loopy but felt coherent and was moving pretty well when they discharged me. To make things easier, we went directly to my radiation treatment (next door, as luck would have it) and they were gracious enough to work me in. I was a little worried about how I would tolerate laying flat on the table and being strapped down but it was no problem.

This decision, as it turned out, was the only way I was getting the radiation done Friday. I was incoherent and in-and-out of consciousness all day. Pretty damn debilitated and I stayed that way most of Saturday. I really had a tough time getting the pain meds passed through my system. I am not a good candidate for opioid addiction because I wouldn't be able to leave the house. I really spent the entire weekend being lethargic.

By late Sunday I finally felt better.

Lesson learned.

Treatment Day 2...33 to go.

Treatment Days 4 & 5...30 to go